Declaration of China SAO
Social accountability is a notion that dates back to ancient times. The five virtues of Confucianism, namely benevolence, righteousness, propriety, wisdom and fidelity, which have been regarded as fundamental ethical standards for a human, reflect the essence of social accountability. Alcoholic products not only satisfy material wants, but provide experiences that meet spiritual needs. Alcohol companies, both as creators of social prosperity and consumers of social resources, must take social obligations fulfillment as a prerequisite given symbiotic relationship between alcohols and society.
As corporate social accountability is drawing increasing attention today, a growing number of companies are coming to realize the necessity and inevitability of shouldering social obligations and take actions to demonstrate their lofty mentality and sentiments of responsibility. With the deepening of economic globalization, alcohol companies should have a modern outlook of wealth. Honestly, profit making is the basic principle for a company to survive. However, we are increasingly aware that it is not the only reason for a company to exist. The so called wealth is not just money and capital, social reputation, environmental protection, sense of responsibility and ethical values are also important assets of companies.
One single company may be of limited influence, but companies in combined efforts to promote social accountability will make a bigger impact and play a greater part. Therefore, today, in order to increase the awareness of social accountability of Chinese alcohol industry and strengthen the brand image and influence of the industry, we, on the basis of a broader outlook of development, join efforts to promote the cause of corporate responsibility, and join with other relevant organizations to carry out international exchanges and cooperation to promote sustained development of Chinese alcohol industry and Chinese society at large.
We hereby solemnly make the following commitments:
1. We will seek excellence, join hands to create core competency of companies and build a basis for sustainable growth. We will more than ever value the quality of products and services, practically perform our mission as caretakers of food safety, and provide consumers with alcoholic products and services of superior quality.
2. We will vigorously fulfill our social contacts and legal obligations, do business in good faith, and abstain from fraud and cheating. We will honestly and faithfully deal with our consumers, employees, cooperators as well as all persons who care and support the brewing undertaking. We are deeply convinced that credibility and integrity are the soul of the market economy and the best competitive edge of a company.
3. We will advocate healthy, moderate and responsible ways of drinking, will not describe, encourage or connive at overdrinking; we will widely publicize the harms of DUI or behaviors with potential risks in our communications with the public; we will publicize the harms of underage drinking and exclude any promotions and inducements targeted on minors.
4. We are committed to a win-win mode of development for enterprises and the society by giving equal weight to the actualization of value and contribution to the community, and paying equal attention to the compliance of market rules and abidance of social ethics. We are committed to on-going payback to the society, protection of the environment, reduction of pollution and an active participation in public welfare activities.
5. We will observe commercial ethics, and advocate fair competition. We are desirous of and will maintain healthy orders of market economy, avoid and reduce vicious competition in an effort to purify the market environment; this is because only in fair competition can one’s true ability to deal with the market be demonstrated and the value of our life be created and realized.
The call of our time to Chinese alcohol industry is not just for material well-being, it is all the more arousing from the depth of our soul a rational sense of responsibility for wealth. We will not be parochially arrogant, nor unduly humble. We push forward with non-subsiding spirit of entrepreneurship. Equipped with such qualities as self-respect, self-reliance, self-confidence and self-effacement, we forge ahead from a solid footing, with an eye into the future as we make our first step. We wish even greater prosperity of the brewing industry! We wish an even better and more harmonious society!